So last night I went to YIC and had a blast. I wish there was YIC every week.
anyways, it was fun with the games- we divided up into groups according to the month you were born in. then we had to thumb wrestle each other. which was intense may i add. I lost the final round in the September group...which was okay, cuz all the winners of each month had to thumb wrestle each other and eventually say "chubby pandas" while stuffing marshmallows in their mouth...
anyways, met some likkle grade 10ers from OSA...and I can remember their names now...wait..forgot one. Anyways, one of them had the same b-day as me!!! CRAAAAZY!!! And we thought no one else was born on our b-day...teehee
worship was awesome...a Filipino band played...had most of my fav songs played, so I was VERY happy. lol. me & lokyan jumped up and down like in YC during "One Way" and we waved our arms for "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever". All we were missing was a slow song to wave our cellphones to...
But I think the part that impacted me the most was the two speakers. The first was Nora Kennedy from the Pregnancy Care Center and told us about abortions. I'm Pro-Life, but now i think i'm gonna take an even stronger stance against abortion. 42 million babies are aborted every year. 42 000 000 000. that is a big number. that number is bigger than the entire population of Canada. it's huge. and why? because girls believe it's their right to do whatever they want to their body. But it's not right. It's murder.
Maybe I'm all antsy and angry cuz I went to the Bodyworlds Exhibition right before YIC at the Telus World of Science (thanks for the correction Lokyan...) and I spent nearly 30 mins just in the Fetal Development Exhibit room. Here's the stuff i learned:
1) the microscopic human egg begins to divide only 30 hours after fertilization
- that means it starts to grow into a baby after only 30 hours after it's fertilized- that's incredible
2)by the end of the 8th week-> all organs are in place and the fetus weighs about 1.1 grams, and is 3 cm long
- i think this is amazing- the baby isn't even longer than my thumb and it already has every single internal organ already in place from its tiny little heart to its petite little lungs
3) by week 15-16, the ovaries have already developed in female fetuses, and you can detect the gender of the fetus through ultrasound
- the fetus is barely 4 months old and you can tell whether it's a boy or a girl already....the fetus is still so small though
4) week 19-20: the fetus is now covered in really soft fine hair (called lanugo)
5) week 21-24: the lungs are now capable of breathing
- k, i saw the real plastinized fetuses at each of these points...and it is actually so mind blowing. i could not comprehend how perfect the fetus was, how complete it was while still being so small
- the hands and feet of the baby are so delicate. so minuscule, yet all the features are there
6) week 25-28: the fetus is now capable of living outside the womb
- so at 7 months, if needed, the baby can be taken outside of the womb, and it can breathe on its own and everything
7) week 29-32: the fingernails have now grown to the tips of the fingers, the skin is now pink and smooth, the eyes can now respond to light with the pupillary reflex, and the hands are able to respond with a "grasping reflex"
- by the 8th month, the baby is like practically perfect. it has everything. and is so wonderfully made
8) week 33: babies born during or after this week will usually survive
all this just makes me remember how wonderful God is. How amazing he is that we are so wonderfully and perfectly formed while still a small little fetus inside our mother's womb. that way before we are born, we have all our body parts and can respond to movements or outside stimuli. and i know this all sounds scientific and confusing, but i guess the simple message is: God is the great Creator. All life is precious. Fetuses have life. Abortion is murder. Murder is wrong.
and that's an understatement. the way the doctors have to kill the fetus during an abortion is awful. The pain that the baby would experience is beyond comprehension. I really love what Mrs. Kennedy said. She said animal cruelty laws are getting stricter and no one should be cruel to animals. But here we are committing the most gruesome murders to innocent babies. Babies that we will never see grow up to become amazing people. Fetuses are not blobs of tissue. They have life.
Anyways, besides the rant, I really life what the next speaker said. He was talking about how we must follow rules as Christians and how the Bible is full of rules and laws and things we must do. And we go "How on earth are we ever to follow every single rule there is in the Bible?". And I know a lot of non-Christians don't want to follow Jesus or become Christian because of all the rules and the rituals and stuff. But I like what the speaker said. He quoted from Mark 12:29-31-> "The most important one,... "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."
He summed up what I've been trying to put into words for my non-Christian friends. Love God with everything you have. Love your neighbor as yourself. The rest of the rules will fall into place. And it's so true. If you love God, you will want to follow the Ten Commandments. If you love your neighbors as yourself, you will be obeying God. It's that simple. And yet so fulfilling.
I just hope that I will be able to show others just how simple it is. Love is simple. But its power is unfathomable. And the person who loves the most? God. Who loved us so much He gave up His only Son for our sins. How great is our God.