I'm always telling myself "I'm going to see the world someday". I just see pictures of a city, or read about a country, and say "I want to go THERE". But I've never consolidated a list. Because I want to go to at least 50 places, rather than writing my usual 1500+ word post, I'll narrow my list down to the Top 10 Places I Want To Visit. I'll put down cities, but I really mean the surrounding areas and general culture as well.
1)Venice, Italy.Venice is like the epitome of mystery, romance, and ethereal beauty.Imagine we're back in the 18th century, when Venice was at the height of its glory. Ever since I read Cornelia Funke's "The Thief Lord", I've longed to visit the city built on a beautiful blue lagoon. And since it sinks slowly every year, I want to visit SOON.
2)Vienna, Austria.After I read Eva Ibbotson's "The Star of Kazan", and after watching "The Sound of Music" a billion times, I decided I want to visit here. Remember Marie Antoinette? Mozart? Haydn? Schubert? *cough..major music history adventure...All those historical figures lived in Austria in the 18th/19th centuries- when Vienna was the hub of the Austrian Empire. And the Blue Danube? It's actually brown...
3)Paris, France.I'm so bitter that I missed the France trip back in Grade 9. What an opportunity. Paris remains the City of Love and Light...such a dreamy place. Imagine taking a tour of The Hall of Mirrors in the Palace of Versailles? Or what about strolling along the river Seine? So many landmarks and buildings that have defined or been a marker in history. Plus it helps that I still have some conversational French skills (whatever is left of it)
4)London, EnglandLondon is OLD-founded in A.D. 43. Can you believe it? And ever since then, England has always been a power to be reckoned with. Let's fast forward history a few centuries. How about the 1500-1600s? Queen Elizabeth I and the Tudors. Then, the 1800s-early 1900s- naval powerhouse that bitterly opposed Napoleon, and a major power in WWI. I really want to ride in one of the bright red double decker buses too.
5)New York, NY, USANew York, New York! From the Broadway shows, to Madison Square Gardens, to Carnegie Hall, New York is all about putting on a show. And fashion? Who wouldn't want to take a trip to the original Saks Fifth Avenue? Or pretending to be a high socialite while walking around in Manhattan? Crazy.
6)Prague, Czech RepublicIt's ancient. It's pretty. The home country of my favorite hockey player. Need I say more? Actually yes. The landscape is beautiful- mountains, rivers, big trees, like an older, greener version of our Rockies. The Chronicle of Narnia movies (the new ones) were filmed in the Czech Republic.
7)Rome, ItalyI am a huge history fan. If it's historic, I will find some way to love it. Although I love Ancient Greece the most, Ancient Rome was definitely interesting. And sometimes a bit scandalous. But the classical architecture and culture of the Roman Empire and Ancient Greece inspired classicism in the Renaissance period.
8)St. Petersburg, RussiaWell if I want to visit the Czech Republic because of hockey, I can't forget Russia. Anyways, St. Petersburg, named after Peter the Great, sounds like a very interesting place. It was the capital city of Russia back in 1732-1918 & where the Romanovs and all the tsar dynasties of old resided. I would say it's the historic cultural center of Russia. AKA, where all the palaces and famous buildings are. Like Peter The Great's Palace, and the Winter Palace. My jaw drops just looking at pictures...
9)Berlin, GermanyAgain, another old city, full of historic buildings and lovely architecture. You don't find that stuff in Canada...our oldest buildings are...Oh like our school which just turned a hundred years old? Compared to Europe's palaces that are centuries upon centuries old. yeah. It would also be cool to walk along where the Berlin Wall once stood (now that you won't get shot for crossing the line...)
10)Madrid, Spainmmmmmm....Spain. Mui caliente. Unfortunately, bull fighting is one ancient tradition they have not abolished. But it's part of their culture. And it's a culture known for it's wild, partying youth. Maybe not such a good thing. But hey, they have siestas, so they get their rest then.
So that's about 1/2 of the places I really want to visit. The places I've already seen aren't quite so numerous: Vancouver, Kelowna, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, Victoria, all those Bible Quizzing places, Seattle, Malaysia (the works), Singapore, and Narita, Japan. Gotta add more. This summer, we're supposed to go visit my aunt in Scotland, and she's going to take us on a tour of the British Isles, so that should add a couple more places to my list.